Specialized care where it's needed most.
Walgreens has created more than 600 Centers of Excellence in strategically located communities
throughout the nation. These centers are staffed by specially trained pharmacists and offer
core services like HIV/AIDS care and compounding-to support the particular needs of their local
communities. Their healing presence in the community is valuable and necessary for the ongoing
treatment of chronic illnesses.
HIV Centers of Excellence highlights:
- Comprehensive Patient View. Ensure precise drug therapies with an
integrated system showing one single patient profile, including patient medical history, doctor
names, prescriptions, diseases and pharmacy locations.
- Education. HIV/AIDS-trained pharmacists are trained at the University of
Buffalo, with expertise in adherence, medication regimens and counseling, cultural competency,
and provider collaboration.
- High Medication Possession Ratio. MPR research has shown significantly
higher rates in patients who used Walgreens community HIV-Specialized
- Personalized Care. Discreet and complete one-on-one medication
consultation and adherence assessment with HIV/AIDS patients - either at a pharmacy or over the
- Financial Guidance. Assist patients with complex health insurance billing,
such as ADAP and SPAP.
- Community Partnerships. A resource to promote knowledge and awareness of
HIV/AIDS, to contribute to wellness and prevention.
Compounding Centers of Excellence highlights:
Medications. When it comes
to compounded medications, the "one-size-fits-all" theory does not hold true since individual
patients may have unique medication needs. Based on consultation between the prescriber,
patient and pharmacist, Walgreens can compound-or customize-medications to meet those unique
needs and achieve optimal therapeutic outcomes.
- - Ability to create medications that may not be commercially available due to low consumer
demand or limited supply.
- - Electronic adjudication for all compounded medications.
- - More than 15,000 standardized compounding recipes provide medication consistency.
Provided by the Walgreens Compound Resource Center and
includes research, recipe development, training, standardized policies and procedures and
compliance to all current USP 795 compounding standards.
Specially trained pharmacists educate members on their medication
regimen to help increase adherence, leading to improved health outcomes.
78% of the U.S. population lives within 15 miles of one of the nearly
700 Walgreens Compounding Centers of Excellence, providing broad access to enhanced services
through our specially trained and certified pharmacists.
Basic Compounding Services.
Available at all of the nearly 8,000 Walgreens
community pharmacies-with longer hours and more 24-hour locations than independent
Benefits that pay off.
1 Cocohoba/ISPOR. 90% MPR vs. 77% MPR for patients using non-specialized pharmacies
(P<.0001) with four months longer persistence.
2 Patients must opt in to the adherence program to have access to these