Here are a few suggestions to vary your workout and make it more interesting.
- If you are at home, listen to music or watch television (listening to music is not recommended if you are an outside runner). If you get bored exercising at home, go to the gym. Watching other people training and socializing can help you work out.
- Exercise in a park, along a trail, or in a new location.
- Exercise with a friend.
- Challenge yourself by trying to exercise "harder" than you did the last time.
- Do an activity you do not usually do.
- Exercise in a public place (where you can look at others).
- Make a day of it -- bring everything you'll need (within reason) for a day of hiking, biking, swimming, etc.
- Take an aerobics, swim, or dance class.
- Consider getting a dog so you have a built-in excuse to walk every day.
- Join a running or walking club
Review Date: 6/28/2011
Reviewed By: Jeffrey Heit, MD, Internist with special emphasis on preventive health, fitness and nutrition, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
A.D.A.M., Inc. is accredited by URAC,
also known as the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission (www.urac.org). URAC'saccreditation program is an independent audit to verify that A.D.A.M. follows rigorousstandards of quality and accountability. A.D.A.M. is among the first to achieve this important distinction for online health information andservices. Learn more about A.D.A.M.'s editorialpolicy, editorialprocess, and privacypolicy. A.D.A.M. is also a founding member of Hi-Ethics and subscribes to the principles of the Health on the Net Foundation (www.hon.ch.)
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatmentof any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 2015 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication ordistribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.