Preparation time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 8
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked (1/2 cup dry will yield 1 1/2 cups cooked) or 1 can (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
Combine bulgur and boiling water in a large bowl. Stir well. Let stand 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Add tomato and remaining ingredients; toss gently.
Serve at room temperature.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Reproduced from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Used with permission.
This recipe is provided as a service of Walgreens.com. Walgreens.com makes no representations, nor assumes any responsibility, concerning same.
Recipes that are "low fat," "low calorie," low cholesterol," and/or "low sodium" conform to the relevant criteria from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.