Preparation time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Number of servings: 6
- 4 oz ziti pasta, uncooked
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 16-oz can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8-oz can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 16-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 10-oz package frozen corn, thawed
- 2 Tbsp green chilies, chopped
- 8 oz fat-free ricotta cheese
- 4 oz shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
Cook ziti according to package directions without salt; drain well.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a Dutch oven or large pot with cooking spray. Add onions, garlic, carrots, green pepper, and zucchini. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, simmering 15 minutes.
Stir in beans, corn, and chilies. Cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat; add pasta and cheeses, tossing gently.
Coat 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon mixture into dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Reproduced from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Used with permission.
This recipe is provided as a service of Walgreens.com. Walgreens.com makes no representations, nor assumes any responsibility, concerning same.
Recipes that are "low fat," "low calorie," low cholesterol," and/or "low sodium" conform to the relevant criteria from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.