Preparation time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4
- 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz cooked turkey breast meat, cut into thin strips
- 6 whole-wheat pita bread rounds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Toss apple with lemon juice; set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and peppers in hot oil, stirring frequently until crisp-tender. Add turkey to skillet, and stir until heated through. Stir in apple mixture.
In a separate bowl, add garlic to yogurt and mix.
Fold pitas in half, and fill with turkey mixture. Drizzle with yogurt mixture.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Reproduced from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Used with permission.
This recipe is provided as a service of Walgreens.com. Walgreens.com makes no representations, nor assumes any responsibility, concerning same.
Recipes that are "low fat," "low calorie," low cholesterol," and/or "low sodium" conform to the relevant criteria from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.