Back to Joslin Resources
Joslin Diabetes Center experts answer commonly asked questions about diabetes monitoring, treatment, self-care, meal planning, and more.
- When should I see a diabetes specialist instead of my primary care physician? In addition to my physician?
- I'm a 60-year-old woman, and I've had type 1 diabetes for 36 years. My question is rather personal: I love my husband, but find that lately I've been avoiding having intimate relations because, frankly, it's uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I want us to continue having a healthy sexual relationship. Is this problem caused by my diabetes?
- I'm a male who's had type 1 diabetes for 15 years. Lately, I've been getting up four or five times at night to urinate. Since I'm half-asleep, I never think to check my blood glucose. I'm worried about complications, though. Is this a sign of diabetic kidney disease?
- I'm afraid of diabetes-related complications, but all the self-care steps seem cumbersome. Where do I begin?
- I've had painful neuropathy in my feet for the past six years. I've heard that a supplement called alpha-lipoic acid might help. Please advise.
- I've heard that people with diabetes shouldn't wear sandals or go barefoot. My feet are healthy, and I check them every day for cuts or redness. I live in the Southwest, where it's pretty hot most of the year. Do I really have to not wear sandals?
- My blood glucose seems to be higher than usual right before I get my period. I'm not eating more than usual-although I do get chocolate cravings at that time of the month. Is this normal? Do other women experience this?
- My husband constantly tells me how to care for my diabetes. I know he means well, but he's not being helpful. What can I say?
- What exactly does a diabetes educator do? Can seeing one help me even if I've been living with type 1 diabetes a long time?
Insulin and Diabetes Pills
Meal Planning and Diet
View other Joslin Diabetes Center educational resources
Learn about the Walgreens & Joslin Diabetes Center alliance
Disclaimer: Except for information, products or services which are clearly identified as being provided by Joslin Diabetes Center, Joslin does not endorse any products or control any information, products or services, including those of Walgreens, on this or any other website. Joslin has not reviewed the products or services described or advertised on this website and makes no representation regarding such products' nutritional value or role in diabetes management.