Rated 5 out of 5 by AZ Al Remington F4790
I purchased the F4790 shaver almost two years ago when on a trip and had forgotten my other rechargeable shaver, and am surprised that such an inexpensive shaver could be so great. When I purchased mine, there were two almost identical shavers...one box said it had titanium blades and the other did not. I opted for the 4790 with the titanium blades. Unlike some of the other reviewers who were first time users of cordless shavers, I have shaved with a cordless shaver most of my adult life. I have tried rotary shavers which did not deliver a close shave, and finally settled into Remington screen shavers. My most recent shavers were in the Remington MS series deluxe shavers at around $89-109 each, that I compare this shaver to. In brief, there is no comparison. I have found this shaver to be the best for the money in spite of its relatively inexpensive cost compared to some of the other shavers available.
* It delivers a consistently close shave; others have needed screen or blade changes after 6 months, and after two years my second screen is finally needing replacement; the instruction manual says you can get 1 year on the blades & screen, which is a great savings when blades/screen cost $20.
* Surprisingly good on getting a close shave on neck
* I still get 15 daily shaves out of one charge; my previous Remingtons started out with 5-6 days per charge and within a year were down to needing a charge every 3-4 days.
* the trimmer does not seem to utilize any extra drain on the battery. Previous shavers seemed to quickly drain the battery when using the trimmer, even briefly.
* the flexible head seems to glide effortlessly along the face, chin, and neck. Have never nicked myself with this shaver along chin line, which was pretty typical of previous shavers.
* I always thought 3 blades was better, but this shaver shaves closer with the two blades than previous much more expensive shavers with 3 blades.
* Can be rinsed under the faucet. I've had bad luck doing this with other shavers, as the ground hairs would cling to the blades and eventually clog them. So every few days I just clean the heads with the provided brush and by gently tapping the foil assembly on the sink.
* Can be used AC if necessary, and has an LED light to indicate when it needs to be charged, which takes less than an hour.
Disadvantages - Hindrances - IMHO should not be deciding factors in purchasing this great shaver:
* does not have a case. But if you have cases from old shavers, most likely will fit.. For me this was not an issue. Or buy a $100 shaver that might not shave as close and they will throw in the case.
* the shaver head clear plastic shield only fits on the shaver with the word REMINGTON right-side up facing you. If you don't take the time to be sure it is right-side up, the cover could fall off the shaver and damage the foil; this might be the reason for other poor reviews.
* when removing the foil assembly to clean, it only fits one way as well. One side of the assembly has 2 lines on it and the back side has 3. You need the 2 sides facing you in order to easily snap on the foil assembly after cleaning.
January 26, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by webkennection Broke after 5 months
Nice shave for a short time. Blades started to dull after about 5 shaves. The shaving head with screens started popping off after about 3 shaves. After 5 months, all the tabs that hold the head in place are broke and cannot be fixed. Even though Remington claims a 2 year warranty, there is no information on their site on how to get a replacement. I sent an email and they responsed back with spam -- a link to buy a new razor.
September 17, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Harrytheman Remington Quality always shines through
Great shave. Ease of cleaning by rinsing with water a plus. I'm not sure that the pivot feature enhances the shave, but it works well.
May 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by mrshave hard to find
its about the only razor i can find that has a slide up cutter that will cut longer hairs on your face anymore . most others have a pop out that only will trim sideburns, etc.
March 26, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Kevin089 Not a comfortable shave.
I've only had this shaver for less than a month but am disappointed with the discomfort I experience while using it. I am very, very saddened that I'm unable to purchase replacement kits for my Remington Micro Screen II DA 107 shaver. I'm told that you have changed the design of the head which makes my reliable shaver useless. The
F4790 Pivot and Flex Dual Foil Shaver gives a close shave but is much heavier (I understand that this is because of the battery) and the ends of the head that holds the screen, stick out past the screens a lot making it feel like I'm being scraped by these protruding edges. All I wanted was to have a corded shaver that was as close and comfortable as my old reliable DA 107. If I were able to purchase the proper replacement kits for this shaver, I would be a very happy man. Even if I could purchase a new replacement head for my DA 107 that would allow me to utilize the replacement kits for the "new" DA 107 head so that I could still use my old shaver, that would also make me happy. Sorry for this bad review but I would not recommend this shaver to anyone who asked me my opinion only because of my preferences.
March 14, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by GPaw Older Versions work better
I purchased this item to replace a 3 yr old MS2-390 on recommendation of a Remington sales tech. Despite that the older shaver is on its' way out, it still shaves better (closer) than the new F4790. The trimmer is also better on the older one. The pivoting head on the F4790 serves no purpose whatsoever. The stationary one works better.
February 18, 2013