Is it possible to take too many vitamins?
It is possible to take too many vitamins and there can be vitamin overdose. There are mainly
two types of vitamins. There are the fat soluble and the water soluble vitamins.
The water soluble vitamins include vitamin B1, B2, B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenate), B6, B12, folate, biotin, and vitamin C. These vitamins are not considered to be toxic, only when thousands of times the recommended daily allowance (RDA) is ingested. The reasoning is because after the body gets the vitamins it needs, the water soluble vitamins are generally wasted through the kidney and the body does not store them.
The fat soluble vitamins include vitamins A, D, E, and K. These vitamins are generally more toxic than water soluble vitamins since it can be stored in the body. It's always a good idea to consult your physician or pharmacist before starting certain vitamins to ensure there is no interaction with any other medication you are taking.
If you're looking for more specific answers to specific questions, ask a Walgreens pharmacist here.