When should I use the glucose control solution for my blood glucose meter?
Glucose control solution is used to validate the accuracy of the meter. It is important to run
periodic control tests to ensure that the meter and test strips are functioning and giving
It is essential that people with diabetes keep their blood sugar levels in their target range. Glucose control will prevent the onset of diabetes-related complications such as heart disease, neuropathy (nerve pain), nephropathy (kidney disease), and retinopathy (retina damage).
Although control tests with glucose control solution may be performed at any time, these tests are strongly recommended:
- when the meter is new.
- before using a new batch of test strips.
- when the cap has been left off of the strip vial, allowing the strips to oxidize.
- when the strips have been stored in an area of extreme temperature and/or humidity.
- when the machine has just been thoroughly cleaned.
- when test results do not coincide with how you feel.
- when the test is repeated and the levels are not what is expected.
- when you want to verify that you are performing the test correctly.
There is no universal glucose control solution. Most companies manufacture a control
solution that is specific to a particular strip.
Find more health and self-care information in our comprehensive Diabetes Center .
View diabetic monitors and test strips available on Walgreens.com.
If you're looking for more specific answers to specific questions, ask a Walgreens pharmacist here.