My doctor just prescribed an eye ointment. How do I put it in my eye?
Applying an eye ointment or gel is a simple step-by-step process:
- Start by having a mirror handy, if possible.
- Next, wash your hands with warm soapy water and rinse them thoroughly.
- Hold the medication tube between your forefinger and thumb - close to your eyelid, but do not touch the tip to your eye or skin. Rest the fingertips of your other fingers against your cheekbone, for support. Tilt your head down very slightly, looking forward in the mirror.
- With the index finger of your other hand, pull down below the lower eyelid, so that it gaps away from your eye and forms a "pocket." Very gently, squeeze a thin ribbon of the ointment in the pocket.
- Gently release the lower eyelid over the ointment, blink, and close your eye for one to two minutes.
- Wipe away any excess ointment with a clean tissue. Clean the tip of the tube with another clean tissue, and put the cap back on the tube.
- If you need someone to help you, make sure the person washes his or her hands with warm soapy water first and follows the above steps.
View Walgreens.com eye drops and ointments.
Back to Ask a Pharmacist