How do I use eardrops?
In order to use eardrops properly, the first rule is to keep your hands and ears clean. There are a few other pointers on using eardrops can help ensure you benefit from your medication.
- Remember to use the eardrops on the prescribed schedule.
- Hold the dropper container in your hands for a few minutes to warm the eardrop fluid.
- Wash your hands with warm soapy water before using the medication.
- If your eardrops are in suspension form, shake the bottle well before applying.
- Clean the outer ear canal with sterile cotton.
- Either sit or stand in front of a mirror, and tilt your head to the side so that the affected ear is facing up. You also can lie down on your side with the affected ear upward and use a hand mirror to guide you.
- Place the eardrops in the ear canal. Avoid touching the dropper to any part of your ear.
- Tug gently on your outer ear and ear lobe to allow the drops to enter your inner ear.
- Stay in this position for five minutes after you apply the medication.
- Repeat in the other ear if directed to do so.
- Blot any drips with a clean tissue.
- Wash your hands after using eardrops.
Note: It may help to have someone assist you in applying your eardrops.
Learn more about your medication.
Back to Ask a Pharmacist