Pharmacy Compounding Services
We understand the "one-size-fits-all" approach doesn't always work. At Walgreens, you can have specific medications created based on your doctor's prescription to match your needs. Some services we provide include:
- Combining several medications into one capsule
- Developing allergy-free formulations
- Compounding medication that's easier to swallow or apply to the skin
We offer basic medication compounding at all neighborhood Walgreens pharmacies. We also offer more complex compounding services at some of our pharmacies. Contact your local Walgreens to see if it has the compounding services you require.
About Medication Compounding
Medication compounding is the pharmacy practice of combining pure chemicals to create one-of-a-kind medications specific to doctor-prescribed dosages and formulations. Staff members at our compounding pharmacies have extensive training to mix, prepare and package customized medications.
Pharmacists may compound prescription medications to:
- Create patient-specific dosages to accommodate an in-between dose or to match a particular patient's weight and size
- Combine some multiple medications into a single dose
- Prescription delivery upon request, in select areas.
- Change the dosage form to one that's easier to take. For example, we can create a liquid suspension for a child who has trouble swallowing capsules or tablets
- Develop allergy-free formulations, change or remove inactive ingredients such as preservatives, dyes or lactose
Compounded Dosage Forms
Each compounded prescription comes with instructions that will help you properly take your medication. Dosage forms can be compounded for pain management, hormone replacement therapy, pets and more.
Common dosage forms include:
- Creams, gels, lotions and ointments
- Liquid formulations such as suspensions and solutions
Hormone Replacement Therapy
We provide compounding services for women taking hormone replacement therapy to treat the symptoms of menopause and other conditions.
The therapy involves compounding various hormones - such as estrogen, progesterone and androgen - into a convenient dosage form for the patient.
These forms of medication are candidates for compounding, including:
- Capsules (regular and slow-release)
- Liquids absorbed under the tongue
- Vaginal creams and suppositories
Pet Medication Compounding
Unsavory tastes and unpleasant textures can hinder pets from taking their medications. We offer several customizable flavors that will surely appeal to your pet's taste buds.1
- Red Angus Beef
- Grilled Tuna
- Chicken Pot Pie (Contains salt)
- Crispy Bacon
- Peanut Butter
- Salmon Steak
- Fish Chowder
- Mom's Banana Bread
- Gooey Molasses
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Radical Raspberry
- Mandarin Orange
- Tangy Apple
- Watermelon Passion
- Groovy Grape
- Cherry Blast
Fill human-analogous pet prescriptions at more than 8,000 Walgreens locations nationwide.2
- 1All veterinary flavors listed are sugar-free and salt-free, unless otherwise noted. Our main vet vehicle, the vet syrup, does contain sugar but the versa free diabetic vehicle is sugar free.
- 2We offer only pet medications that can also be prescribed to humans, for example but not limited to Amoxicillin (antibiotic), Humulinę (insulin), Hydrocortisone (skin conditions) and Omeprazole (stomach conditions).