Pink Eye & Styes
What is pink eye and what are the symptoms?
Pink eye, or conjunctivitis, is an inflammation of the clear membrane that covers the white part of the eye and the inside of the eyelids. Pink eye can be a bacterial or viral infection and may occur with colds or childhood diseases such as measles. Another type of conjunctivitis can be caused by environmental allergies. Conjunctivitis can be spread from one eye to the other and from one person to another. Conjunctivitis is a very common condition in children.
Frequent signs and symptoms of pink eye include: eye discomfort or pain, gritty feeling in the eye, redness of the eye, clear, green, or yellow discharge from the eye, swollen eyelids, sensitivity to bright light, intense itching (allergic conjunctivitis only) and crust that forms on the eyelashes after sleeping.
What are styes and what are the symptoms?
A stye is an inflamed oil gland on the edge of the eyelid, where the lash meets the lid. Styes are caused by bacterial infection (most often staphylococcal or staph) in a hair follicle or a gland in the corner of the eye. The infection may be limited to the eyelid or may have spread from somewhere else in the body.
Frequent signs and symptoms of styes include:
- A bump on the edge of the eyelid
- The eyelid area is red, swollen, painful, or tender. The head of the stye is usually on the outside, but it may be on the underside of the lid
- Eye may be sensitive to bright light
- A gritty feeling in the eye
- Eye may water
How do you treat pink eye and styes?
Visit Healthcare Clinic at select Walgreens if you think you may have pink eye or a stye. We will conduct an exam of the affected eye and put an appropriate treatment plan in place to help relieve symptoms.
This treatment is available at Healthcare Clinic locations for patients 18 months and older.
Walk in or schedule an appointment at the Healthcare Clinic nearest you.
If you believe you have a medical emergency, please call 911.
* Sports and school physicals not typically covered by insurance. Certain exceptions, including age restrictions, may apply. Patient care services provided by Take Care Health Services, an independently owned professional corporation whose licensed healthcare professionals are not employed by or agents of Walgreen Co. or its subsidiaries, including Take Care Health Systems, LLC.