Walgreens Compounding Services
When it comes to prescription medications, Walgreens understands the "one-size-fits-all" approach doesn't always work.
Select Walgreens pharmacies can work with your physician to customize your medication's dosage strength and form to fit your specific needs. It's a service called "medication compounding."
Medication compounding is the pharmacy practice of combining pure chemicals to create one-of-a-kind medications specific to doctor-prescribed dosages and formulations.
About Medication Compounding
Staff members at our compounding pharmacies have extensive training to mix, prepare and package customized medications.
Pharmacists may compound prescription medications to:
- Create patient-specific dosages to accommodate an in-between dose or to match a particular patient's weight and size
- Combine some multiple medications into a single dose
- Prescription delivery upon request, in select areas.
- Change the dosage form to one that's easier to take. For example, we can create a liquid suspension for a child who has trouble swallowing capsules or tablets
- Develop allergy-free formulations, change or remove inactive ingredients such as preservatives, dyes or lactose
Compounded Dosage Forms
Each compounded prescription comes with instructions that will help you properly take your medication.
Dosage forms can be compounded for pain management, hormone replacement therapy, pets and more.
Common dosage forms include:
- Creams, gels, lotions and ointments
- Liquid formulations such as suspensions and solutions