Search info


How can I treat an earache?


Treatment depends on what may be causing the earache. If the earache is due to an infection, there are no over-the-counter products available to treat an ear infection. You should contact your physician for the appropriate antibiotic. In the meantime, an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®) will help reduce the pain until you can speak with your physician.

If the earache is due to water in your ear from swimming, etc., there are over-the-counter ear drops available that may help the ear dry out quicker. One common product name is Swim-Ear®, another is Auro-Dri®.

Another possibility is that a wax build-up is causing the pain. This is best diagnosed and removed by your doctor. Finally, we would recommend that any persistent inner-ear discomfort be diagnosed by your physician to obtain the necessary treatment as quickly as possible.

Back to Ask a Pharmacist


Answers to questions regarding information about medications or health conditions are not for diagnostic or treatment purposes and are not conclusive as to the presence or absence of any health condition. Consult your physician for diagnosis and treatment of your medical condition. The information provided is not a substitute for medical advice. Advances in medicine may cause this information to become outdated, invalid or subject to debate. Professional opinions and interpretations of the scientific literature may vary. Walgreens' terms of use and general warranty disclaimer apply to all services provided. If you are in need of immediate medical attention, contact your physician, poison control center or emergency medical professional. If you need to speak with a pharmacist for non-emergency matters, contact your local Walgreens pharmacist or call a pharmacist toll-free at 1 (877) 250-5823.

Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices

20 Points
20 Points

Now you can track your blood pressure and blood glucose.

Start earning points Go Arrow