What is HIV PrEP?
Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a way for at-risk people who do not have HIV to reduce HIV risk and prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day.1 PrEP can help prevent HIV infection by more than
Walgreens Healthcare Clinic providers are trained to provide HIV testing, consultation & prevention services. Clinics are open evenings and weekends, so you can get tested when your schedule allows. Appointments and results are always confidential.
Should I take HIV PrEP?
You should consider HIV PrEP if you have any of these risk factors:4
- Unprotected sex with one or more than one partner
- History of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Sex with an HIV-positive partner
- Shared needles and injected drugs
- Live in a high-prevalence area or network
You must test HIV negative before beginning PrEP, with follow-up testing every 3 months while taking it.
Do I need HIV PrEP if I use condoms?
When used together, PrEP medication and condoms help reduce the risk of HIV and STIs.
How much does HIV PrEP cost?
Prices vary depending on your prescription coverage. If you need financial assistance, our pharmacy staff can help you find copay assistance programs.
What to expect at your HIV screening appointment
Your first Walgreens Healthcare Clinic appointment ($55-149) will include:5
- Questions about your exposure risk and history
- HIV and STI education and treatment options
- PrEP information
- Rapid HIV test
- Discussion of possible PrEP side effects
Your second appointment ($35) will include:5
- Lab result review
- Confirmation of PrEP eligibility
- 60-day PrEP prescription, if necessary
If HIV test results are positive, a confirmation blood test may be required.
Follow-up visits ($55) will be scheduled every 3 months and include HIV rapid tests, counseling and confirmation of PrEP eligibility.5
Appointments and results are always confidential. Learn more about PrEP at a Walgreens Healthcare Clinic near you.5,6